Health and safety cartoon – The Importance of Proper Health and Safety Practice in the Workplace is Vital to the Success of a Business
This safety cartoon colorfully illustrates some common place accidents that may happen at work.
There is nothing worse for a business than a worker injury. Sometimes it can be life changing and even fatal making some proper training and understanding of basic practices a vital part of all workplace training. No one should be like Tom in the top right on the ladder. He is too high up, he should be at least one step down so his body can rest on the ladder, and ever worse is his friend Jeff below who is chatting on a phone when he should be spotting Tom by holding the ladder steady. The fact that it’s propped up on a pallet is on a whole other level of danger. Ladders must always be setup in a safe fashion with all 4 legs firmly planted on the ground, never balanced on other objects. A fall from a ladder at that height can be fatal. At least Tom is wearing safety gear because he is going to need it soon.
Mark is likely to get food poisoning from that kitchen area that the office has clearly neglected. Leaving food around to rot can contaminate other food which could lead to a series of inter office food poisoning, which isn’t as dangerous as improper ladder use but could be very costly for a business and in some cases can be very dangerous. Adam on the left is also using a ladder in a very dangerous way, it is the most common form of injury and it is because of people not taking ladder use seriously. Always have a spotter. What’s even worse is the toxic waste casually stored next to him! If you work in an environment with hazardous waste it is not only important but it is the law that it be disposed of properly and environmentally. Leaving it around the workplace can cause seriously negative health side effects.
Martin seems to be struggling with his photocopy machine but it is no doubt because the fuse has been blown. The outlet that the machine is plugged into has so many extra cords coming off of it that it’s likely being over charged. This can be extremely dangerous. Electrical fires are almost impossible to identify when they start and before anyone knows they are going, they have burned out half the inside of the building. Overcharging an outlet is reckless and dangerous, not to mention that this office has them stretched out all over the place for people to walk and trip on. Make sure that the outlet can support the voltage that you will be drawing from it, and if it can handle some power bar extensions keep them tidy and out of people’s way. If you are going to setup an electric heater like the one off of this same outlet, dragged out into the middle of the room, make sure it is not near anything flammable. These office workers have it setup near a stack of documents, now not only would it be terrible to lose some hard earned work because the pages got scorched, but it could possibly burn the building down. Electric heaters are often not efficient ways of heating and should only be used sparingly and must be used safely.